Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Don’t Drink and That’s Okay

At some point in our culture, it has become socially unacceptable for a 20-something to not drink unless they’re a recovering alcoholic. 

And it’s bullshit. 

I don’t like to drink. I don’t like how it tastes, how it makes me feel, or how it has the potential to make me throw up. Even getting a simple buzz is the opposite of fun for me.

And that’s okay.

Let me repeat myself.

That. Is. Okay.

Every time I hang out with my friends back home, they constantly badger me about having a drink. Then they act offended when I refuse. That’s a little unfair; it’s actually one friend who’s the major culprit. The others will throw in the old favorite: “Oh come on, have some fun,” but it usually ends there. 

With this one particular friend, it’s more like: 

“Have a drink, just one drink.” 
“No, I’m good. Thanks, though.”
“I promise, it doesn’t taste bad. You taste the pop more than anything.” She counters, that condescending smirk that screams ‘why are you being lame?’
“No, that’s okay. I’m not going to drink tonight.” 
“You never drink. Can’t you just have one for me, please?”

At this point, I’ve gone past politeness because she knows me better than any one and knows that I’m not going to do it. Why play this game that ends in both of us irritated? What’s the point? 

Then she’ll act like I’m somehow ruining her night because I didn’t have a drink. 

What is this? Why do people feel the need to ostracize someone for not drinking? Why does your night depend on my level of alcohol consumption? 

It’s not like I look down on people who do drink. I don’t sit there and make rude remarks, or scrunch my nose at the alcohol, or act like the other person is committing some capital crime because they’re having a drink. (Admittedly, when people do start getting stupid drunk, I excuse myself from the situation. As much as I don’t like alcohol, I also don’t like alcohol breath and the after effects of alcohol anywhere near me.)

I just let them have their drink. The world doesn’t fall apart because my friends like doing something I don’t. 

So, your world shouldn’t fall apart simply because I don’t have that drink. And if you take offense to the fact that I turned down your offer, I’m sorry that our friendship hinges on whether or not I drink.I’m still not going to do it.

I have just as much fun--no, I have more fun--when I don’t drink as you do drinking. 

Whenever alcohol passes my lips, the burn not only bothers me, but the fact that I hate throwing up turns every sip into a ‘is this going to be the sip’ mantra in my head until I’m more concerned with how my body is reacting to the alcohol than what’s going on around me.

Bottom line, when I drink, I feel miserable.

Why are you so insistent on making me feel miserable?


Rant Over. 

1 comment:

  1. When a twenty-something tells me they don't drink, I usually think it's because of religious reasons. But maybe I've been living in the South too long. There's nothing wrong if you don't enjoy alcohol. Each to their own. I like the way wine tastes and I like having a glass of wine every now and then. Though one of my resolutions for 2014 is to cut back on drinking, to the point of only for special occasions. So, I haven't had a drink since NYE. Sometimes it's hard but for the most part, I like being able to say no!

    http://shermsinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete