Friday, November 9, 2012

A Visit to the Dog Cardiologist



Look at that happy face!

Tuesday morning, I had an appointment with Mia's new cardiologist. I had both been dreading and anxiously awaiting seeing them since the ER vet had first mentioned it Saturday morning. That doctor was convinced that Mia was suffering from Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM), which gave Mia a death sentence spanning anywhere from two months to two years. 

So naturally, I was a bit over emotional. Jay couldn't come with me because no matter what kind of nightmare is happening in our world, the real world keeps on going and he had to work. I was all alone, unsure if my dog was living or dying, and I just wanted the whole thing to be over with so I could finally know.

I started crying as soon as the vet tech put a stethoscope to Mia's heart. I sat there for the whole hour long appointment with my kleenex as Mia was poked and prodded by various machines checking her heart. 

Good news: she doesn't have Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM). Yet. Her heart is a normal size, blood is flowing in and out the way it should, ventricles are doing their jobs, BUT her heart isn't pumping with as much force as it should be. We've been down graded from DCM, to myocardial failure. Which, as horrible as that name sounds, is okay for right now. As long as the pills she's on keep working, she'll be fine. 

It's when they stop, I'll have to worry. 

So after $2400 in vet bills, a new $100 monthly bill for her pills, we finally know what's wrong and we're dealing with it. 

All our money for Christmas is gone and half our rent went to the vet, but I have my Mia. The rest will work out. 

I had to share this picture of my other four-legged child. She was not amused, but I laughed endlessly. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, you're poor pooch! I'm glad it's not as bad as they first thought.
    Annnd that picture is amazing! hahaha, she looks so ticket off at you for torturing her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a face of "are we done yet, mom? This is embarrassing!" Yes, I often narrate my dogs thoughts. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Nikki! I hope your dog stays well and I hope the pills work! <3 Keep us all updated!! I am still loving the adorable photos!

    I hope you don't mind but I nominated you for another Liebster award! I am in the process of responding to yours as well! So you should get some more traffic head your way soon when I do ^_^ sorry I've just had so much to do!

    CHiBi-CHiC a petite fashion blog

    ReplyDelete