Monday, October 28, 2013

Writing and I

Currently reading this book suggested by an old teacher
Writing and I, me and writing. We have a strange relationship. I find it really hard to get started writing and even more difficult if I don't have a set deadline. The only time I've really excelled at the whole writing thing was when I was taking creative writing classes. 

When I had a paper due the next week, I could sit down and shoot out a short story in a couple days. I'd have numerous fully-formed stories floating around my head. 

Outside of class without the looming deadline breathing down my neck? I find it soooo hard just to get started. Sure, the numerous story lines are still rolling around in my head, but actually writing them down? Nope.

Even now, I should be writing in order to make a couple contest deadlines, but my writing confidence is hiding in a corner somewhere. I feel pressure to perform since all my writing friends are getting book deals, winning contests, doing author tours, and I'm here waving "hey, I published that story that one time a couple years ago." 

Pathetic. 

And I know I can do it. I know I have what it takes to write. I have all the time in the world to do it right now, too. I have no job, no school. I just have a lot of time that I spend doing everything but writing. 

I'm putting too much pressure on it. I know I am. There's no such thing as writer's block for me. It's just me not doing it.


Sorry for the third post in rant, but the frustration is weighing on me. Anyone else with writing troubles? How do you surpass them? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment